Hello readers. It has been almost 2 months since I was able to post a blog post. This is becuase 1 month ago I underwent kidney transplant surgery. After several complications, I can proudly say that I am recovering and my new kidney is working well. I am still amazed at modern medicine, new technology and most of all, how important family/friends are to us.
This blog post is dedicated to my husband, who donated his kidney for me, to my family who took over 24/7 with my kids and to the extended family that became a great support system to us.
I dont want to neglect my amazing friends...but will blog about their amazingness in my next blog post.
In every culture, the value of family varies. I will not speak about other cultures in particular, but I will speak for my own culture, the Gujurati culture which most definitely puts family first.
I am part of a much bigger family than just my siblings and parents, and now husband and children. In fact, without the extended family which I consider to be as valueable to me as my "immediate" family, I wouldnt feel complete.
Growing up, I was surrounded by aunts, uncles and cousins who were in my life on a regular basis. I spent most weekends with them, went on vacations with them, and knew them as well as I knew those in my own home. I didn't appreciate this as a child, but now I can surely see the importance in having more family in our lives and how our history can go back so many years.
I gained even more appreciation for my family throughout my surgery/recovery. Most importantly, I was able to focus on my own health without any concerns for my children, or husband (who also was recovering). In addition to my siblings, I had (and still have) lots of extended family who did whatever they could do to make the kids feel comfortable and well taken care of.
My point is that family must be valued and we must all keep relations with each other in any way we can. We are the best sources of love, support and friendship for each other, especially when we share "history" with each other that can be traced back to childhood.
I am now making sure my children have great relations with their family so that they can grow up and look back at all the good times they've shared. As adults, they will continue to keep strong ties with their aunts/uncles/cousins as well as be loving siblings and children.
Find the good in your family meembers and keep in touch.
Well said ... you are truly amazing!!!!
ReplyDeleteI may not be family, but so truly honored to have you in my life. We are all so thankful for your recovery and I can't wait to read more of your blog posts.
A true friend ... one for life!
XOXO
Ellen
Very well said Shrutee!! We are so happy that you are doing well and are well on the road to recovery. I am so very thankful to God that you are in our life..
ReplyDeleteNice post. Thank you.. It is important to be aware of the country we are moving to .. coz I moved to India 6 months back with my husband and my baby girl North. I am so in love with India .. I got to know new culture and the people here are so loving ... I found a website which provides vast information for expats .
ReplyDelete